Above, a timelapse of sea ice forming off Estonia.
Ice Breaking aboard the Akademik Shokalskiy from Finn O'Hara on Vimeo.
Above, icebreaking off Greenland, with a jaunty soundtrack and fogbows.
All photos courtesy NASA:
- Sea ice under the combined influences of wind and ocean currents forms a frosty filigree along Kamchatka's volcano-dominated coastline, Russia.
- Icebergs along Princess Ragnhild Coast, Antarctica.
- Icebergs calving from East Antarctica's Matusevich Glacier.
- Barnes Ice Cap, Baffin Island, Canada.
- Parry Channel, Canada.
- Neumayer Glacier, South Georgia Island.
- Greenland coast.
- Yukon River Delta, Alaska.
- Guano-stained ice, the mark of emperor penguin colonies, visible below the bergs frozen into the ice in the center of this image of Antarctica’s Luitpold Coast.